Friday, July 13, 2018

Kumusta Po! (Hello)

I finished my first full day at the MTC!! I have almost been here for 48 hours and I love it. It all started so fast. They wheeled me up to my room and I just dropped my bag by a bunk and then took off for a class room. Our teacher there (a RM) was only speaking in Tagalog. It was crazy. But he pointed to words on the board, did a lot of pointing, and slowly started to add more English so that we would understand. He speaks a lot of "taglish" which is super helpful. They then told my to go and write you guys and tell you that I made it here.
Right after I sent that email, I met my companion back in the classroom. His name is Elder Nelson. He is awesome. He is from Murray and just graduated form Murray high. He played baseball, plays the organ, piano, and the saxaphone. We get along very well. 
We also have two other Elders in our room. They have been here for 3 weeks and are at the half way point in their MTC stay. We are following them around today because we have the whole day to kind of do what we want for P-day. Our first meeting today is at 6:30 tonight. But, me and Elder Nelson don't have a lot to do because we just got here. (no laundry, haircuts, etc. yet). Today is the first day that we have exercise time. So, that will be good. 
Our first two days were packed with learning procedures, rules, tagalog (kind of) and gospel study. Our days kind of slow down after this. We will generally have a 3 hour class in the morning and a 2 1/2 hour class in the afternoon. With some kind of devotional at night. And lots of time in between for companion, personal, and language study. I will spend a lot of extra time today doing language study. We are supposed to learn 470 words by next Saturday. It is a lot and is kind of overwhelming, but I know that the gift of tongues is real. I have already picked up some basics and have only been here a few days. We will see how it goes. 
I also found out from Sister Pollard, that 9 of the 14 missionaries in her zone (going to the Philippines) finally got their Visas. They were all reassigned, mostly to Texas, but most of them got their visas just before they leave (in 4 days). That is good news. They also found out that they fly straight from San Francisco to Manila. All of the missionaries in our district are super happy for them. 
Being here in Provo is awesome! I have seen like 8 different Elders and Sisters that are from LP. It is nice to see familiar faces. 
And I even took a few pictures. (you're welcome mom). One of them is of me and my comp. Elder Nelson. One is of all of my roommates. And one is me with Elder Baker Wilkes. 
I love you all and keep you in my prayers. I'd love to hear from you and answer any question that you guys have. Kitakits (goodbye/see you later)
-Elder Thomas
Elder Nelson & Elder Thomas
L-R Elder Nelson (comp), Elder Thomas, Elder Halverson & Elder Palmer (roommates)
Elder Thomas and Elder Baker Wilkes


No comments:

Post a Comment