Monday, August 12, 2019

This week was WILD!!

Alright, I honestly don't even know where to start for this week. I am just going to start with a story...
We were biking up the road in a pretty good rainstorm when a lady came running down the road yelling about how someone had been rammed by their cow. We kept biking and found a man laying on the path with a huge gash in his head. His shirt was covered in blood and his pants had been completely torn off. He was just laying there saying (in Tagalog) "my cow killed me. I am going to die. My chest hurts. Tie up my cow." His cow was just to the side of us eating someones rice field. We carefully grabbed his rope and then pulled him away from the field and tied him to a bamboo tree. My heart was pounding like crazy. Then we went to help the guy while we waited for a trike to come to take him to the hospital. He has been in the hospital for 5 days now and as far as I know he is still alive. We are kind of legends in our area now because we are the two white guys who tied up the "killer caribou (water buffalo)." So that was wild.
Then the next day, I was on splits with one of the district leaders in our zone. I woke up with a super swollen lip. I decided that I was either allergic to something the member had fed us the night before, or I got bit by something. The swelling went down that morning but, it was like impossible to speak (especially in Tagalog) with the swollen lip.
Then, we were on a trike ride home when we had to cross yet another river. We now have to cross like 6 rivers on the ride home from town. We got into the middle of a river that ran across the path. It was like 1 1/2 ft deep. We completely got stuck and the driver told us that one of us would have to get out to push. So, I jumped in and we made it across the river. 
All that being said, we did actually get some awesome work done this week. We had a lesson with 2 investigators and the spirit was soooo strong as we talked about the Plan of Salvation. We hadn't planned to, but we extended baptismal invitations and they both accepted.
We also had a lesson with an investigator who will be baptized on Saturday. We went over the baptismal interview questions and he bore an awesome testimony about the change that he experienced since he met the missionaries. One of the biggest changed that he made was to stop drinking coffee. He found a replacement... rice coffee. It is nothing more than rice that is burnt black and then boiled. And then you add a scoop of brown sugar and creamer. So, after we taught him, had a nice coffee break. 
Well... sorry this email is kind of everywhere. The week went by faster than like any other week in my mission. But, the church is true and the work is hastening. I love you all. Thank you for the thoughts, prayers, and emails. 
Love, Elder Thomas





No comments:

Post a Comment