Monday, June 10, 2019

I almost killed the Pastor

This week was awesome. As far as work goes, we did not teach a lot of lessons, and we did not have a lot of investigators at church. But, it was an awesome week. This week we focused on finding Less Active and Part Member families. Around 30 years ago, missionaries baptized a lot of youth who quickly went inactive once the missionaries left the area. We are doing a lot of work now trying to find those members and inviting them back to church.
Another thing that we did a lot this week was little "on-the-go service projects." We found a man next door to one of our members building a chicken coop. He was not at all interested in what we had to say to him, but we told him that all we wanted to do was help him. We chopped bamboo with machetes and then built a coop for him with hammers and nails. It was awesome. Then we found another part member family chopping wood. We went up to them and started chopping wood with them. Then we found an old Tati. He was about to take his trash to the garbage pickup. He had 4 bags that were pretty heavy. He really didn't want us to help him, but we just picked up the bags and in 1 trip, we saved the man like 3 hours of his life. It was an awesome way to show people that we work to live what we teach. The people were all very welcoming when we asked them if we could come back on another day.
On Sunday, we found a little group of kids playing soccer in a dirt field. I was pretty happy because it is like the first soccer game that I have seen. We started playing with them and had an awesome time. But, I almost killed the Pastor later in the game. We were playing and the kids asked me to drop kick the ball. I managed to kick the ball as far as I have ever kicked a soccer ball in my life. It went across the field and dropped out of the sky about 2 feet from the pastor of the neighboring church. I know that God watches his missionaries because He stepped in and protected this old Pastor. 
For those of you wondering what kind of new foods I have eaten, the answer is that I have quite literally eaten every part of a chicken. This last week, we ate chicken intestine, chicken butt, and chicken throat. It was actually all pretty tasty, but mentally, it is kind of hard to get past. 
This Saturday, we will know if anyone will transfer from our district. I don't know how I made it though yet another transfer, but I love it. I love the mission, even though it is going wayyy to fast. This church is true and we are a part of preparing the world for the Second Coming of our Savior. I love you all and send lots of prayers your way. 
-Elder Thomas



No comments:

Post a Comment