Monday, September 3, 2018

Crazy 2 weeks






Well, I got shipped out to the field just 4 days ago. I didn't have a pday the week I left from the Manila MTC, so I have lots to write about. The highlight from the MTC was when we were able to go out and go tracting. We went and met the Quezon City North missionaries. I learned so much in just 4 hours out teaching. I was able to recited the first visions to this guy who was super interested and then add some little testimonies to the things my comp (Elder Munk) said. I also saw Elder Braden Bromley. For those of you who know who that is, you will know how excited I was to see him. It was awesome.
The other "highlight" was the last night in the MTC. They feed all of the missionaries balut. It was super wierd. Not my favorite thing on the planet but it kind of just tastes like a hard boiled egg. The texture really throws me off because there are all sorts of little bones and stuff in it. And just looking at it is kind of disgusting. I couldn't bite the whole thing, so I bit it in half. But, not the worst thing in the world. We also ate liver. Tons of variety of whole fish. And other mystery meats out here in the field. But, I love it. 
After a 7 hour bus ride, I made it to the mission home. We spent a night with 26 Elders in a giant house. It was the hottest night of my life. Then we hopped on another bus for 2 hours up to our house. My house with my comp is massive. And it is kind of ghetto. We shower with a bucket and pump water from outside. And it is in the middle of nowhere. I love it. We spent all morning the other day trying to catch this giant spider in our kitchen. It was the size of my palm and could jump. 
I honestly love it here. The people are awesome. Anyone will listen to you even if they really aren't interested. I had the opportunity to extend two baptismal dates to two of our investigators yesterday. It was awesome. I also was able to share the first vision and the story of Joseph Smith and handful of times. It is incredible. The language is slowly coming and me and my comp (who has only been out for 6 months now) work through it every day. 
I love it here. I love the people, the food, the gospel, and all the experiences. I am grateful for all the examples I have back home and think about you guys all the time too. 
-Elder Thomas
1/2: Elder Bromley/my split companion Elder Munk
3: the MTC president and his wife
4-6 MTC comp Elder Nelson and my district in Manila
7-12 Balut
13 Elder Finau
14: the manila temple
15-17: the view from the 3 decks in our house
18-19: the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment